About the Project
What is Transition to School?
Starting school is an exciting but somewhat overwhelming time in a child and families life. A child’s transition to school starts well before and extends long after the child’s first day. A successful transition to school can depend on a variety of factors: child’s temperament and personality, parent’s attitudes to school and education and the accessibility and quality of local services in the community. The Illawarra Transition to School Project aims to:
- network with multiple stakeholders to promote the importance and benefits of a successful transition to school
- provide meaningful and consistent training and development opportunities
- engage Indigenous families to improve current academic outcomes
- engage families from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to support their transition to school
- create useful tools to support children transitioning to school
- engage families whose children may not access an early childhood education and care service.